Robustly flavored with rich coffee and a decadent swirl of caramel sauce, this ice cream is one treat we’d be happy to eat every day this summer.
Coffee-Caramel Swirl Ice Cream
Yields: 6 cups
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 to 6 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (12-ounce) jar caramel topping
- In a large heavy saucepan, whisk together cream, milk, sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Place eggs in a medium bowl. Whisk 1 cup hot cream mixture into eggs. Whisk egg mixture into remaining hot cream mixture in pan. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon, about 8 minutes. Stir in espresso and vanilla. Pour into a bowl; place bowl in a larger bowl of ice. Let stand until cool, stirring occasionally. Remove bowl from ice, and refrigerate cream mixture until very cold, about 5 hours.
- Spoon chilled cream mixture into an ice cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Spoon half of ice cream into a chilled freezer-safe bowl or parchment paper-lined pan. Drizzle with one-third of caramel. Repeat layers once. Using the tip of a knife, lightly swirl mixture 3 or 4 times. (Don’t overmix.) Drizzle with remaining one-third of caramel. Freeze until firm.