Coconut adds an extra layer of crunch and sweetness to this pretty tart.
Makes 1 (9-Inch) Tart
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ⅓ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1½ cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup whole buttermilk, room temperature
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat softened butter at medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Add ½ teaspoon salt and confectioners’ sugar, and beat until smooth, about 1 minute. Add egg yolk, and beat until combined, about 1 minute. Add 1½ cups flour in two additions, beating just until combined after each addition.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and gently knead 3 to 4 times. Shape dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into an 11-inch circle, about ¼ inch thick. Transfer to a 9-inch round tart pan, gently pressing into bottom and up sides. Trim excess dough. Freeze until firm, about 10 minutes. Prick bottom of dough with a fork. Top with a piece of parchment paper, letting ends extend over edges of pan. Add pie weights.
- Bake until edges look dry, about 10 minutes. Carefully remove paper and weights; bake until crust is dry and edges are golden brown, about 10 minutes more. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle tart evenly with coconut. Place pecans in concentric circles in crust. In a large bowl, whisk together granulated sugar, remaining 2 tablespoons flour, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Whisk in eggs, melted butter, and vanilla until combined. Slowly add buttermilk, whisking until just combined, and gently pour over pecans.
- Bake until the edges are set but the center still slightly jiggles, about 35 minutes. Let cool completely on wire rack. Serve warm or chilled.