Coconut Berry Tart
Yield: 1 (9-inch) round tart
Write a review
- 3 cups finely crumbled shortbread cookies
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk, divided
- 1 (1⁄4-ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup halved fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, combine shortbread crumbs, melted butter, and 1⁄4 cup sugar, stirring well. Add coconut, stirring to combine. Press firmly into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch round tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine 1⁄2 cup coconut milk and gelatin. Let sit for 10 minutes to bloom.
- In a large saucepan, combine remaining coconut milk and remaining 1⁄4 cup sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Add gelatin mixture to hot coconut milk. Cook, whisking well, until gelatin has dissolved, 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool to room temperature (approximately 30 minutes). Cover, and refrigerate until thick, but not set (approximately 45 minutes). If mixture does begin to set, whisk until smooth.
- In a large bowl, beat cream at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold into cooled coconut mixture. Cover tightly, and refrigerate until set.
- Spoon whipped-cream mixtured into prepared crust. Top with berries just before serving.
- Heavy whipping cream has the highest butterfat content and will double in volume and hold its form when whipped. To top this berry tart with the loftiest whipped cream, place the mixing bowl and the beaters in the freezer for 15 to 30 minutes before you use them.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/