Making your own herby mayonnaise takes this sandwich to the next level.
Classic Tomato Sandwiches
- 2 pasteurized egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 cup grapeseed oil or other neutral oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 10 thick slices white bread
- 3 beefsteak tomatoes, sliced ¼ inch thick
- Cracked black pepper, for sprinkling
- In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks, Dijon, vinegar, and 1 teaspoon salt with a mixer at medium-low speed. With mixer running, add oil in a slow, steady stream, and beat until mixture is thickened and well combined, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in parsley and dill. Transfer mayonnaise to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use or for up to 3 days.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon mayonnaise on one side of each bread slice. Place 2 tomato slices on each of 5 bread slices. Sprinkle tomato with salt and pepper. Top with remaining bread slices, mayonnaise side down.