Tasty Toppings: Classic marshmallows and crunchy pecans join forces to form the perfect toasted crust for this richly spiced sweet potato casserole.
Classic Sweet Potato Casserole
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Write a review
- 10 cups mashed cooked sweet potato (about 8 pounds uncooked)
- 1 2⁄3 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together sweet potato, brown sugar, milk, melted butter, eggs, salt, cinnamon, and zest until combined. Spoon mixture into prepared dish.
- Cover with aluminum foil, and bake 40 minutes. Uncover, and bake 20 minutes more. Sprinkle evenly with marshmallows and pecans. Bake until marshmallows are lightly toasted, approximately 5 minutes more. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/