Cooking the squash and onion in chicken broth adds an extra layer of rich flavor.
Classic Squash Casserole
Makes about 10 servings.
Write a review
- 10 cups sliced yellow squash (about 3 pounds)
- 11⁄2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 11⁄2 cups crushed buttery round crackers, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 2- to 21⁄2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large Dutch oven, bring squash, onion, water, and broth to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until squash is crisp-tender, about 7 minutes. Drain well.
- In a large bowl, gently stir together squash mixture, 1⁄2 cup cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon melted butter, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and egg. Spoon half of squash mixture into prepared dish, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with 3⁄4 cup crushed crackers. Top with remaining squash mixture, remaining 3⁄4 cup crushed crackers, and remaining 1⁄2 cup cheese. Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter.
- Bake until cheese melts, about 25 minutes.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/