There is nothing more Southern than a batch of classic potato salad. Mayo creates that perfectly creamy and rich texture.
Classic Southern Potato Salad
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 4 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup mayonnaise*
- ⅔ cup dill pickle relish
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 hard-cooked eggs, roughly chopped
- Garnish: chopped green onion, paprika
- In a large Dutch oven, bring potatoes, salt, and water to cover by 1 inch to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain.
- In a large bowl, stir together mayonnaise, relish, green onion, vinegar, mustard, and pepper until combined. Gently stir in eggs and potatoes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Garnish with green onion and paprika, if desired.
*We used Blue Plate Mayonnaise.
Find more potluck favorites in our newest special issue Southern Potluck 2018.