No need for frills with this Classic Peach Pie.
Classic Peach Pie
Yields: 1 (9-Inch) Pie
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¾ cup ice water
- 8 cups peeled and sliced fresh peaches
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- For crust: In the work bowl of a food processor, place flour, sugar, and salt; pulse until combined. Add cold butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly. Add ¾ cup ice water in a slow, steady stream, pulsing until a dough forms. Turn out dough, and divide in half. Shape each half into a disk, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- For filling: In a large saucepan, combine peaches and sugar. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved. Add cornstarch, lemon juice, almond extract, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom, stirring to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half of dough into a 12-inch circle, ¼ inch thick. Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate, pressing into bottom and up sides. Trim excess dough. Spoon filling into prepared crust.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll remaining dough to ¼-inch thickness. Using a sharp knife or a pizza wheel, cut 3 (1-inch-wide) strips and 9 (¼-inch-wide) strips. Arrange strips in a lattice design on top of filling. Trim excess dough, and tuck edges under. Lightly brush dough with egg wash.
- Bake on bottom rack of oven until filling is bubbly, 40 to 45 minutes, covering with foil halfway through baking to prevent excess browning. Let cool slightly before serving.