Impress your holiday guests with an indulgent scratch-made version of this beloved beverage, the Classic Eggnog.
Makes about 6 cups
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- 6 egg yolks
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ tablespoons vanilla extract
- Garnish: sweetened whipped cream, cinnamon sticks, and grated fresh nutmeg
- In a large saucepan, bring milk, cream, cinnamon sticks, and nutmeg to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat; cover and let steep for 10 minutes. Discard cinnamon sticks.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, and salt. Whisk about 1 cup hot milk mixture into egg yolk mixture. Whisk yolk mixture into milk mixture in pan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Serve warm or chilled. Garnish with whipped cream, cinnamon, and nutmeg, if desired.