Every Southern cook needs a foolproof cornbread recipe in their back pocket; this buttery, golden-brown bread is just that.
Classic Buttermilk Cornbread
Makes 1 (10-inch) skillet
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups plain white or yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2½ cups whole buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 425°. Pour oil into a 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Place skillet in oven until oil is very hot, about 8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, melted butter, and eggs. Make a well in center of dry ingredients; add buttermilk mixture, stirring just until combined. Carefully pour batter into hot skillet.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 27 minutes.