Make the most of seasonal citrus with this Citrus Trifle that looks as beautiful as it is tasty.
Makes up to 10 to 12 servings
- 4 cups cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 (3.4-ounce) package vanilla pudding mix
- ¼ cup lemon curd
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 navel oranges
- 2 ruby red grapefruits
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (15-ounce) angel food cake, cut into ½-inch cubes
- Garnish: chopped toasted macadamia nuts
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups cream and pudding mix to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in lemon curd and orange zest. Transfer to a medium heatproof bowl. Place plastic wrap directly on surface of pudding mixture and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Slice off ends of oranges and grapefruits. Using a serrated knife, remove peel and white pith. While holding citrus over a bowl to catch any juice, slice segments from oranges and 1 grapefruit. Squeeze juice from membrane over segmented fruit in bowl. Sprinkle with ¼ cup sugar, stirring to combine. Slice remaining grapefruit into ¼-inch slices and cut into half-moons; sprinkle both sides of slices evenly with 2 tablespoons sugar.
- In a large bowl, beat remaining 2 cups cream, remaining ¼ cup sugar, and vanilla with a mixer at medium-high speed until soft peaks form.
- In the bottom of a trifle dish, spread ¼ cup pudding mixture. Press half of grapefruit half-moon slices into sides of trifle dish, cut side down. Layer one-third of cake, pressing cake into pudding mixture. Top with one-half of segmented citrus and juices and layer with 1 cup pudding mixture. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining cake and whipped cream. Garnish with macadamia nuts, if desired. Refrigerate for up to 2 hours before serving.