It’s amazing how many folks don’t realize you can make French fries at home. This recipe uses my mother’s secret of cooking the fries twice for the ultimate crunch.
Christy Jordan's Double-Fried Spicy Fries
Makes approximately 6 servings.
Write a review
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 medium russet potatoes, cut lengthwise into 1⁄4-inch thick sticks
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Line 2 baking sheets with paper towels. Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven, fill with oil to halfway full. Heat oil over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 325°. Cook potato in batches until soft but not browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from oil using a slotted spoon; let drain on one prepared pan.
- Increase heat to medium-high; heat oil until a deep-fry thermometer reads 360°. Cook potato in batches until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from oil using a slotted spoon; let drain on remaining prepared pan. Sprinkle with chili powder and salt.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/