Christy loves using a combination of sweet and tart apples in this apple pie to really highlight the flavor. Granny Smith and Gala fit the bill perfectly!
Christy Jordan's Caramel Apple Pie
Yield: 1 (9-inch) pie
Write a review
- 1 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts (2 sheets)
- 6 cups peeled, cored, and thinly sliced apple, such as Granny Smith and Gala (about 6 medium apples)
- ⅓ cup jarred caramel sauce, plus additional to serve
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, diced
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, unroll piecrusts; roll each into a 12-inch circle. Press 1 crust into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Set remaining crust aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together apples, caramel sauce, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Spoon apple mixture into prepared crust; top with butter. Brush edges of crust with 1 teaspoon water. Top with remaining crust, crimping edges together. Flute as desired. Cut 6 (1½ inch) slits in top of crust.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 40 to 45 minutes. Cover edges of crust with aluminum foil during last 15 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Serve with additional caramel sauce.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/