With three layers of chocolate flavor—crust, filling, and whipped topping—you’re sure to please your chocolate-loving guests with this heavenly confection.
Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake
Yields: 1 (10-inch) cake
- 12 chocolate graham cracker sheets, finely ground (about 2⅓ cups)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (4-ounce) bittersweet chocolate bar, finely chopped
- 3 (8-ounce) packages cream
- cheese, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- Garnish: crushed soft peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with baking spray with flour.
- For crust: In the work bowl of a food processor, place crushed graham crackers, melted butter, brown sugar, cocoa, and salt; pulse until combined. Press mixture into bottom and up sides of prepared pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool completely. Reduce oven temperature to 325°.
- For filling: In a microwave-safe bowl, place chocolate. Microwave on high in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until chocolate is fully melted, about 2 minutes total.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, cocoa, and flour at low speed until combined. Increase speed to medium, and beat until smooth, about 1 minute. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined after each addition, stopping to scrape sides of bowl as needed. Beat in extracts. Add melted chocolate, and beat until combined.
- Place springform pan inside a turkey roasting bag, rolling sides of bag down to meet top rim of pan. (Bag should only cover bottom and sides of pan.) Pour filling into prepared crust; transfer to a large roasting pan. Place in oven. Pour enough water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of springform pan. (Make sure top of roasting bag is above the water.)
- Bake until center is set but slightly jiggly, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or up to 2 days. Run a hot knife around edge of cheesecake to loosen; remove from pan and transfer to a serving platter.
- For topping: In a medium bowl, beat cream, cocoa, and confectioners’ sugar at medium speed until soft peaks form. Spread over chilled cheesecake. Garnish with peppermint just before serving, if desired.