These Chocolate-Hazelnut Sandwich Cookies are absolutely delightful as a homemade holiday gift.
Chocolate-Hazelnut Sandwich Cookies
Makes about 24
Write a review
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ⅓ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate-hazelnut spread*
- In a large bowl, beat butter and ⅓ cup sugar with a mixer at medium-high speed until creamy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined.
- Place dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper, and roll to ¼-inch thickness. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove top piece of parchment paper from dough. Using a 1½-inch round cutter, cut dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place 1 inch apart on prepared pans. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake until firm, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread about 1 teaspoon chocolate-hazelnut spread on flat side of half of cookies. Place remaining cookies, flat side down, on top of spread. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- *We used Nutella.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/
Find more great recipes like this one in Taste of the South‘s Southern Christmas 2016!