Inspired by the iconic MoonPie, this mega-sized version is made from graham-flavored pound cake filled with a dense marshmallow center and blanketed in a rich chocolate glaze.
Chocolate-Graham Pound Cake
Yields: 1 (10-inch) cake
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and divided
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ⅔ cup full-fat sour cream
- 1 (7.5-ounce) jar marshmallow crème
- 4½ cups confectioners’ sugar, divided
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons whole milk
- Preheat oven to 325°. Spray a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, beat 1 cup butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar with a mixer at medium speed until creamy, about 3 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and ½ teaspoon salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Place rack on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, beat marshmallow crème, remaining 2 tablespoons butter, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. (Crème will collapse.) With mixer on low speed, gradually add 1½ cups confectioners’ sugar, beating until well combined. Increase mixer speed to medium, and beat for 1 minute.
- Using a serrated knife, cut cake in half horizontally. Remove top half of cake; set aside. Spread marshmallow mixture onto bottom half of cake, leaving a 1-inch border. Cover with top half of cake. Freeze for 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cocoa and remaining 3 cups confectioners’ sugar. Slowly whisk in milk until smooth. Pour glaze over cake, completely coating top and sides. Let stand until glaze is set, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter. Store covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
We love keeping a stash of pound cake in the freezer for a quick treat. To freeze, wrap 1-inch-thick slices of Classic Pound Cake individually in plastic wrap, and store in a ziptop freezer bag for up to 4 months. Thaw slices at room temperature for 30 minutes or in fridge overnight, and toast until golden brown. It’s perfect served plain or with a slather of jam.