This Chocolate Cream Pie comes together quickly with a store-bought pie crust.
Chocolate Cream Pie
Yield: 1 (9-inch) pie
Write a review
- 1⁄2 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts (1 sheet)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 5 large egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 (4-ounce) bar semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 (1-ounce) square unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot fudge sauce
- On a lightly floured surface, roll piecrust into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate, pressing into bottom and up sides. Fold edges under, and crimp as desired. Top with a piece of parchment paper, letting ends extend over edges of plate. Add pie weights.
- Bake until golden brown, approximately 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Carefully remove paper and weights. Let cool 10 minutes.
- For filling: In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Add milk and egg yolks, whisking to combine. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly, approximately 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Stir in butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, until combined. Gradually add chocolate, stirring until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.
- Spoon filling into prepared piecrust. Let cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on surface of filling. Refrigerate until firm, approximately 3 hours.
- For topping: In a medium bowl, beat cream and sugar at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Top pie with whipped cream. Drop teaspoonfuls of hot fudge sauce over whipped cream. Using the back of a spoon, swirl into whipped cream.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/