Sign up to bring this Southern classic to the next get-together, and you’ll be everyone’s favorite neighbor.
Chocolate Cola Pound Cake
Yields: 1 (15-Cup) Bundt Cake
- 1 (12-ounce) can cola
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅔ cup whole buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Chocolate Glaze (recipe follows)
- In a small saucepan, whisk together cola and cocoa. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat; let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 15-cup Bundt pan with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, stir together cooled cola mixture, buttermilk, and vanilla. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with cola mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean, 50 to 55 minutes. Let cool in pan for 20 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Pour Chocolate Glaze over top of cooled cake, and let set before serving.
Yields: 1½ Cups
- 1½ tablespoons salted butter
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups confectioners’sugar
- ¼ cup whole milk
- In the top of a double boiler, heat butter over simmering water until melted. Add cocoa, whisking until a smooth paste forms. Add confectioners’ sugar and milk; cook, whisking constantly, until glaze is creamy, smooth, and pourable. Let cool for 5 minutes before using.