True chocolate lovers know that every season needs a touch of cocoa goodness like this indulgent Chocolate Cobbler.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 7 tablespoons natural unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1½ cups hot water
- Whipped cream, to serve
- Garnish: maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place butter in a 2-quart baking dish; place in oven until butter melts, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from oven.
- In a medium bowl, stir together ⅔ cup granulated sugar, flour, bittersweet chocolate, 3 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Stir in milk and vanilla, stirring until smooth. Spoon over melted butter in dish (do not stir).
- Stir together remaining ⅓ cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, and remaining 4 tablespoons cocoa. Sprinkle cocoa mixture evenly over batter. Pour 1½ cups hot water evenly over top (do not stir).
- Bake until center is almost set but still jiggles and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with some batter, 35 to 40 minutes. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Serve with whipped cream. Garnish with cherries, if desired.