Serve this Chocolate Chess Pie with a tall glass of milk for the perfect after dinner dessert.
Chocolate Chess Pie
Yield: 1 (9-inch) pie
Write a review
- ½ (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts (1 sheet)
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup whole buttermilk, at room temperature, shaken
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened whipped cream
- Garnish: chocolate shavings
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll piecrust into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate, pressing into bottom and up sides. Fold edges under, and crimp as desired. Refrigerate 15 minutes. Prick bottom and sides of dough with a fork 10 times.
- Bake 10 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar and eggs; beat at medium speed with a mixer until combined. Add buttermilk, melted butter, cocoa, and vanilla, beating until smooth. Pour into prepared piecrust.
- Bake until a knife inserted near edge comes out clean, approximately 30 minutes (cover edges with foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary). Let cool completely on a wire rack. Serve with whipped cream. Garnish with chocolate shavings, if desired.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/