Cheesy comfort: Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas
Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Write a review
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, sliced in rings
- 2 (6-ounce) bags fresh baby spinach
- 1 (10 and 3⁄4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 (8-ounce) packages shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced roasted green chiles
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- Garnish: sliced red onion, fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook for 4 minutes. Add spinach, and cook until spinach wilts and releases liquid. Remove spinach and onion from pan, and place in a colander or strainer. Press with the back of a spoon to squeeze out excess liquid.
- In a large bowl, combine soup and 1 cup broth, whisking until smooth. Add chicken, spinach mixture, 1 package cheese, green chiles, garlic powder, cumin, seasoned salt, and lime juice. Stir to combine.
- Spray aluminum foil with cooking spray. Wrap tortillas in prepared foil, and place on a baking sheet. Bake until tortillas are warm and pliable, approximately 10 minutes.
- Place approximately 1⁄2 cup filling in the center of each tortilla. Roll tortilla around filling. Place, seam side down, in prepared baking dish.
- Add remaining 1⁄2 cup broth and sour cream to remaining filling. Pour over enchiladas. Top with remaining package cheese.
- Bake until bubbly, approximately 30 minutes, lightly covering with foil if casserole becomes too brown. Garnish with cilantro and red onion, if desired.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/