Whether you’re fighting a cold or just the cold weather, a bowl of this chicken soup will warm you right up.
Chicken and Rice Soup
Makes about 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1½ cups chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1½ cups wild rice blend*
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 7 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1½ cups coarsely chopped carrot
- 1 (8-ounce) package fresh baby portobello mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 cups shredded cooked chicken
- ⅔ cup heavy whipping cream
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- In a medium Dutch oven, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat until butter is melted. Add onion and celery; cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in rice and garlic; cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in 6 cups broth, carrot, mushrooms, thyme, parsley, 2 teaspoons salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Partially cover; reduce heat and simmer until rice is almost tender, about 35 minutes.
- Stir in chicken, cream, remaining 1 cup broth, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt; cook until rice is tender, about 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
*We used Lundberg Wild Blend Rice.