Prepare this chicken soup on Saturday or Sunday, but leave out the noodles. Freeze in individual containers, and thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Add noodles when reheating.
Chicken Noodle Soup
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Write a review
- 6 cups water
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 bone-in skinless chicken breasts
- 4 carrots, divided
- 4 stalks celery, divided
- 1 yellow onion, peeled
- 6 wholecloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a large Dutch oven, combine 6 cups water, chicken broth, and chicken. Cut 2 carrots and 2 celery stalks in half crosswise, and add to broth.
- Trim pointed end of onion. Place cloves in onion. Add onion and bay leaves to broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Let cool to room temperature. Skim foam and solids from top of broth; strain broth into a large bowl. Discard carrot, celery, onion, and bay leaves. Shred cooked chicken, and discard bones. Set aside.
- In same pan, heat strained broth over medium-high heat. Add reserved chicken and salt.
- Cut remaining 2 carrots and 2 celery stalks into 1⁄2-inch pieces; add to broth mixture. Add egg noodles and parsley. Cook until noodles are tender, 7 to 8 minutes. Remove soup from heat. Stir in lemon juice. Serve immediately.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/