Have a hearty supper all in one sandwich with this over-the-top tasty recipe.
Chicken Mac-and-Cheese Sandwiches
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus ½ teaspoon
- Cajun seasoning,* divided
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 (4- to 5-ounce) chicken cutlets
- 3 cups coleslaw mix
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 slices Texas toast, buttered and toasted
- Mac and Cheese (recipe follows)
- Pickles, to serve
Mac and Cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 4 ounces cubed processed cheese product
- 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 cups cooked large macaroni pasta
- Fill a large skillet halfway with vegetable oil. Heat oil over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together flour and 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning. In a second shallow dish, place eggs. In a third shallow dish, whisk together bread crumbs and Parmesan. Dredge chicken in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Dip in egg, letting excess drip off. Dredge in bread crumb mixture, lightly pressing to adhere; shake off excess.
- Working in batches, fry chicken, turning halfway through, until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 165°, about 6 minutes. Let drain on a wire rack; sprinkle with remaining ½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning.
- In a medium bowl, stir together coleslaw mix, mayonnaise, barbecue sauce, mustard, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Place chicken on half of toast slices. Top with Mac and Cheese, coleslaw mixture, and pickles. Top with remaining toast slices.
Mac and Cheese
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk, salt, and onion powder; cook, whisking frequently, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add processed cheese and Cheddar, stirring until melted and well combined. Add pasta, stirring until well coated and heated through, about 5 minutes.
*We used Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning.