Topped with a sweet and savory slaw, these cauliflower steaks make for a hearty meal.
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 small heads cauliflower (about 2½ pounds each)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup Basic Dredge (recipe on page 45)
- 2 cups whole buttermilk
- Apple-Curry Slaw (recipe follows)
- Garnish: chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup matchstick-cut Granny Smith apple
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
- In a large cast-iron Dutch oven, pour oil to fill halfway, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°. Spray a wire rack with cooking spray.
- Trim green leaves from cauliflower. Place 1 cauliflower head, stem side up, on a work surface. Cut excess cauliflower from either side of stem. Reserve excess cauliflower for another use. Trim a thin slice from the end of stem, creating 2 flat sides. Turn cauliflower stem side down. Cut 2 slices, about ¾ inch thick, lengthwise through stem. Repeat with remaining head of cauliflower. Sprinkle cauliflower slices with additional salt and red pepper.
- In a shallow dish, place Basic Dredge. In a shallow bowl, place buttermilk. Working with 1 cauliflower slice at a time, dredge cauliflower in Basic Dredge, shaking off excess. Dip in buttermilk, letting excess drip off. Dredge again in Basic Dredge, gently pressing to adhere. Place on prepared rack.
- Working in batches, fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove cauliflower using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with additional salt. Serve with Apple-Curry Slaw. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
- In a medium bowl, toss together all ingredients. Let stand for 30 minutes before serving.
MAKES ABOUT 2¾ CUPS
Triple the recipe and store in an air-tight container; you’ll be ready to chicken-fry anything at any time.
2¼ cups all-purpose flour 1⁄3 cup plain yellowcornmeal
2½ teaspoons kosher salt 1 teaspoon bakingpowder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon groundred pepper
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 months.