Fresh cilantro, jalapeño, and smoky spices add exotic flavor to classic chicken and rice.
Chicken and Rice with Black Beans
Yield: 5 to 6 servings
Write a review
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- ½ jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 1½ cups basmati rice, rinsed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Garnish: sliced radish, sliced jalapeño, hot sauce
- In a large bowl, stir together chicken, salt, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, and black pepper. In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides, approximately 6 minutes. Remove chicken from skillet; wipe skillet clean.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to skillet; heat over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeño. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, approximately 5 minutes. Add rice, stirring to combine. Cook 2 minutes. Add chicken and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover, and simmer until rice is tender, approximately 20 minutes.
- Stir in beans, cilantro, and lime juice. Garnish with radish, jalapeño, and hot sauce, if desired.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/