Chicken and Dumplings
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 (3-pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 5 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large leek, halved lengthwise and sliced into ½-inch pieces
- (white and light green parts only)
- ¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons all- purpose flour
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon paste
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ½ cup whole milk
- For stew: In a large Dutch oven, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces; cook until browned, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken, reserving drippings in pot.
- To pot, add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, carrots, celery, onion, and leek. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in all-purpose flour and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir in 2 quarts water, bouillon paste, bay leaves, and pepper; bring to a boil. Return chicken to pot. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest portion of chicken registers 165°, about 45 minutes.
- Remove chicken and bay leaves from pot. Let chicken cool enough to handle. Shred chicken, discarding skin and bones.
- Return chicken to pot, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to a simmer. Stir in parsley.
- For dumplings: In a medium bowl, whisk together self-rising flour and kosher salt. Using a fork, cut butter into flour mixture until crumbly. Stir in milk just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until dough comes together, 3 to 4 times. Roll to ⅛-inch thickness. Cut into 2-inch squares.
- Drop dumplings, a few at a time, in simmering stew. (Do not stir.) Cover and gently shake pot in a circular motion; cook until dumplings float, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately.
HOW TO MAKE DUMPLINGS