Ready for some quick home cooking after your Spring vacation? This quick Chicken and Dressing Casserole comes together in a snap, and showcases plenty of seasonal flavor. Check out our March/April issue for even more yummy casseroles!
Chicken and Dressing Casserole
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Write a review
- 6 cups cubed cornbread (about 2-inch cubes)
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen vegetable seasoning blend (celery, bell pepper, onion, and parsley)
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced leeks
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (1-pound) bunch fresh asparagus, blanched and cut into 2-inch pieces (see tip)
- Garnish: fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a 21⁄2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine cornbread and chicken. Set aside.
- In a large deep skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add seasoning blend and leek; cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is evaporated and vegetables are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; whisk in broth, poultry seasoning, salt, thyme, and pepper. Bring to a boil, whisking frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until thickened, whisking frequently, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool for 10 minutes. Add eggs, asparagus, and broth mixture to chicken mixture; stir gently to combine. Spoon mixture into prepared dish.
- Bake, covered, for 25 minutes. Uncover, and bake until set and heated through, about 15 minutes. Garnish with thyme, if desired.
- Kitchen Tip: To blanch asparagus, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add asparagus to pan; cook 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water until no longer warm.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/