Cheesy hash browns get topped with an asparagus salad.
Cheesy Hash Browns With Asparagus Salad
Yield: 2 to 4 servings
Write a review
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup arugula
- 1⁄2 cup asparagus, tough ends removed and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, torn into pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- In a colander, place potato. Rinse under cold water until water runs clear. Drain. Place potato in center of a clean kitchen towel. Fold over long sides of towel; twist ends tightly to squeeze out excess moisture. In a large bowl, combine potato, salt, and pepper, tossing to combine.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons canola oil over medium-high heat. When canola oil is hot, add half of potato mixture, spreading and pressing in an even layer. Sprinkle cheese over potatoes, leaving a 1-inch border on all sides. Top with remaining potato mixture, spreading and pressing in an even layer. Cook, without stirring, until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Carefully invert hash browns onto a plate, browned side up. Add remaining 2 tablespoons canola oil to pan. Carefully slide hash browns into pan, browned side up. Cook until golden brown and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine arugula, asparagus, parsley, chives, mint, and lemon juice. Place arugula mixture on top of hash browns. Serve immediately.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/