Everyone loves creamy spinach topped with cheese!
Cheesy Creamed Spinach
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Write a review
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 (9-ounce) bags fresh spinach
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large nonstick skillet, combine olive oil and butter. Cook over medium heat until butter has melted. Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion begins to be translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Working in batches, add spinach to pan. Cook, stirring often, until spinach has wilted, 3 to 4 minutes per batch. Repeat process with remaining spinach, cooking until all spinach is wilted, stirring often. Cook for 3 to 4 additional minutes to reduce liquid, stirring often.
- Sift flour over spinach, stirring to combine. Cook until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add cream and salt, stirring well. Cook until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella and 1 cup Parmesan, stirring well. Spoon into prepared dish.
- Cover, and bake for 15 minutes. Remove cover, and spread remaining 1⁄2 cup mozzarella and remaining 1⁄2 cup Parmesan over top. Bake until cheese is golden brown, approximately 10 minutes.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/