Try it once, and you’ll want to incorporate this recipe into your regular rotation.
Cheesy Broccoli Casserole
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth, room temperature
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 6 ounces smoked Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3½ teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground marjoram
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups small broccoli florets (about 1¼ pounds)
- 1 cup crushed buttery round crackers
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 5 minutes. Whisk in flour; cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; whisk in cream cheese, Cheddar, 2 teaspoons thyme, mustard, salt, marjoram, and pepper until smooth. Stir in broccoli and transfer to prepared dish.
- In a small bowl, stir together crackers, melted butter, and remaining 1½ teaspoons thyme; sprinkle over broccoli mixture.
- Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes, covering with foil after 15 minutes to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.