Cheddar-Chile Hush Puppies
Write a review
- For hush puppies;
- Canola oil, for frying
- ½ cup stone-ground white or yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup whole buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons diced mild green chiles
- For sauce;
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons whole buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon diced mild green chiles
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- For hush puppies: In a large cast-iron Dutch oven, pour canola oil to halfway full. Heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350°. Line a plate with paper towels. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. In a separate medium bowl, stir together buttermilk, melted butter, and egg. Slowly add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring just until combined. Stir in cheese and chiles.
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into hot oil. Fry in batches until golden brown, approximately 2 minutes per side. (Adjust heat as needed to maintain 350°.) Let drain on paper towels.
- For sauce: In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, buttermilk, sour cream, chiles, and hot sauce. Serve with hush puppies.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/