Warm buttered Cheddar and Onion Yeast Rolls, sprinkled with Parmesan.
Cheddar and Onion Yeast Rolls
Yield: approximately 2 dozen rolls
Write a review
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 (1⁄4-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm whole milk (105° to 115°), divided 1 large egg
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 3⁄4 cups bread flour
- 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a small skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring constantly, until onion is tender, approximately 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 1⁄2 cup warm milk; let stand 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining oil, remaining sugar, remaining 1 cup warm milk, egg, Cheddar, and salt. Stir in onion and yeast mixture. Gradually stir in flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a large bowl coated with nonstick cooking spray, turning to coat top. Loosely cover, and let rise in a warm draft-free place (85°) until doubled in size, approximately 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Cover, and let stand 10 minutes.
- Spray 24 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 3 balls in each muffin cup. Cover, and let rise in a warm draft-free place until doubled in size, approximately 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Sprinkle each roll evenly with Parmesan. Bake until lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/