The cardamom on these slightly smoky chicken wings complements the sweet heat of the blackberry-jalapeño sauce.
Charred Cardamom-Spiced Chicken Wings
- 4 pounds chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- Roasted Blackberry-Jalapeño BBQ Sauce (recipe follows), to serve
- Garnish: chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- In a large bowl, toss together chicken wings, oil, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and cardamom until fully coated.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Working in batches, place wings, skin side down, in skillet; cook until charred, about 3 minutes. Place chicken, skin side up, in an even layer on prepared pan.
- Bake until golden brown and crispy, about 55 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Serve with Roasted Blackberry-Jalapeño BBQ Sauce. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
Roasted Blackberry-Jalapeño BBQ Sauce
Yields: About 2 cups
- 1 pound fresh blackberries
- 4 large jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- ½ cup diced sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ teaspoons tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup water
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a small Dutch oven, stir together blackberries, jalapeño, onion, and brown sugar. Roast until tender, about 40 minutes.
- Add vinegars, Worcestershire, tomato paste, and salt; bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- In the container of a blender, place blackberry mixture and ½ cup water, process until smooth. Gently press mixture through a fine-mesh sieve, discarding seeds. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month.