Finishing this hearty Potato Mash with browned butter adds a nutty flavor.
Celery Root Potato Mash
Yields: 6 Servings
- 2 pounds red potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 pound celery root, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1⁄2 cup plus 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed and divided
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- Garnish: chopped fresh chives
- In a large Dutch oven, bring potatoes, celery root, 1 teaspoon salt, and water to cover to a boil over high heat. Cook until tender, 10 to 15 minutes; drain. Add 1⁄2 cup butter to pan. Using a potato masher, mash vegetables. Stir in sour cream, horseradish, and remaining 2 teaspoons salt.
- In a small skillet, heat remaining 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until butter turns a medium-brown color and has a nutty aroma. Pour browned butter over vegetables. Garnish with chives, if desired.