We love the Chipotle Ranch on everything from these croquettes to a veggie tray.
- 1 (8-ounce) catfish fillet
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup warm whole milk
- 1½ cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs), divided
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Garnish: fresh thyme
- Chipotle Ranch
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from can)
- 1½ teaspoons fresh dill leaves
- 1½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Sprinkle catfish with ¾ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. In a large saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add catfish; cook, turning once, until flaky and firm to touch, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from pan. Let stand for 5 minutes. Using 2 forks, shred catfish.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 3 tablespoons butter to pan. Add onion; cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in flour; cook until bubbly, about 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in warm milk until smooth.
- Remove from heat; stir in catfish, ½ cup bread crumbs, 2 teaspoons thyme, ½ teaspoon salt, and remaining ½ teaspoon pepper until well combined. Shape 2 tablespoonfuls of catfish mixture into small patties.
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 4 inches, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- In a shallow pan, place egg. In another shallow pan, combine remaining 1 cup bread crumbs, remaining 1 teaspoon thyme, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Working in batches, dip croquettes in egg, letting excess drip off. Dredge in bread crumbs mixture, pressing gently to adhere.
- Fry croquettes, turning as needed, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels. Serve with Chipotle Ranch. Garnish with thyme, if desired.
- Place all ingredients in a blender; process until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 1 week.