Vidalia onions add a touch of sweetness to this classic savory soup.
Carmelized Vidalia Onion Soup
Yields: 6-8 servings
- 3 pounds Vidalia onions, thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 8 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Garnish: grated Parmesan cheese, fresh thyme
- In a large Dutch oven, combine onion, butter, salt, and pepper over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until dark golden brown, 50 to 60 minutes. Increase heat to high. Add wine; cook until most of liquid has evaporated. Stir in broth.
- Tie together thyme sprigs and bay leaves with kitchen twine. Add to broth mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes. Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaves before serving. Garnish with cheese and thyme, if desired.