Sweet, slightly salty, and completely addictive, this snack proves that pork rinds have a place at the dessert table.
Caramel Popcorn and Pork Rinds
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 3 cups popped unsalted or lightly salted popcorn
- ½ (3.25-ounce) bag pork rinds (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup chopped toasted pecans
- ¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 250°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine popcorn, pork rinds, and pecans.
- In a large saucepan, bring brown sugar, butter, 2 tablespoons water, corn syrup, salt, and red pepper to a boil over medium heat; cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Remove from heat; whisk in vanilla and baking soda. Pour caramel over popcorn mixture, stirring until well combined. Spread popcorn mixture onto prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes, stirring every 7 minutes. (Caramel will thoroughly coat and cling to popcorn mixture.) Let cool for 40 minutes before serving.
KITCHEN TIP-Change up the flavor of the caramel coating by mixing or substituting the red pepper with ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon or apple pie spice.