Caramel Apple Pie
Write a review
- 6 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into wedges
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1½ cups sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated piecrust (1 sheet)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Toss apple slices with flour and sugar; set aside.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, stir together sugar, ¼ cup water, and lemon juice for caramel over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high; boil without stirring until mixture is a deep amber color, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and add cream. Return to low heat; stir until any bits of caramel dissolve. Add butter, whisking until smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add apples to pan, and top with caramel sauce. Unroll piecrust, and cut into 8 (1-inch) strips to create a lattice top. Lay 3 dough strips over pie, using longer strip in center and shorter strips toward edges. Fold back every other strip to its midpoint. Place a new strip crosswise over unfolded strips. Unfold strips, crossing over new one. Then fold back vertical strips, and place another crosswise strip parallel to first one. Continue weaving in this fashion until you have three crosswise strips on this half of pie.
- Weave crust on remaining half of pie in the same fashion. Bake until filling is bubbly and crust is golden, approximately 1 hour.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/