Homemade caramel adds rich flavor to this refreshing holiday sipper.
Caramel Apple Cider
Makes about 10 servings
- 1¼ cups sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 (1.5-liter) bottles apple cider
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 3 small Granny Smith apples, halved
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 1 cup sugar and 3 tablespoons water over medium heat without stirring until sugar is golden brown. (The darker the color, the richer the flavor.) Gradually add cider; cook until sugar is dissolved. Add cinnamon stick, and bring to a simmer; reduce heat to low, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Heat a medium cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Dip apple halves in remaining ¼ cup sugar; place cut side down in skillet. Cook until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Float apples in Dutch oven for serving.
Find more holiday sippers in our newest issue of Taste of the South magazine.