These Canadian Bacon Mac and Cheese Cups from our Southern Classic Mac & Cheese special issue will be a hit at your super-bowl party.
Canadian Bacon Mac and Cheese Cups
Yield: 18 cups
Write a review
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked
- 18 thin slices Canadian bacon
- 2 tablespoons Japanese bread crumbs (panko)
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour; cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in 3⁄4 cup cheese until melted. Stir in cooked pasta. Let cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Press Canadian bacon slices into bottom and up sides of 18 muffin cups. Spoon 3 to 4 tablespoons pasta mixture into each cup. Sprinkle with remaining 3⁄4 cup cheese and panko.
- Bake until bubbly and cheese melts, approximately 10 minutes. Let stand in pan 5 minutes before serving.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/