To keep the crust crispy, carefully turn the cooked cornbread out of the skillet as soon as possible. Letting it cool in the skillet steams the crust.
Makes 1(10-inch) skillet.
Write a review
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 2½ cups whole buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 425°. Pour oil into a 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Place in oven until oil is very hot, about 8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, melted butter, and eggs. Make a well in center of dry ingredients. Add buttermilk mixture; stir until combined. Carefully pour batter into hot oil in skillet.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 27 minutes.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/