This recipe for Buttermilk Cornbread is a cast-iron classic that uses some of our favorite Southern ingredients.
Write a review
- 2¼ cups plain cornmeal
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1⅔ cups whole buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, 2 tablespoons oil, and egg. Make a well in center of dry ingredients; add buttermilk mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat, and carefully pour batter into hot oil in skillet. Do not stir batter.
- Bake until cornbread is golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/