Ripe banana and browned butter give these blondies an ultra-rich and satisfying flavor.
- 1 1⁄4 cups browned butter, cooled and divided (see Kitchen Tip)
- 2 1⁄2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Garnish: chopped toasted pecans, sliced banana
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil; spray with nonstick baking spray with flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat 1 cup browned butter and 2 cups brown sugar at low speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined. Beat in vanilla.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to browned butter mixture, beating until smooth. Stir in mashed banana; pour into prepared pan, smoothing top with an offset spatula. 4. Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a medium saucepan, melt remaining 1⁄4 cup browned butter. Add remaining 1⁄2 cup brown sugar and cream; stir until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat; let cool 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, beat cooled browned butter mixture and confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Spread over blondies. Garnish with pecans and banana, if desired.
Kitchen Tip: To make browed butter, cook 1 1⁄4 cups butter in a medium stainless-steel skillet over medium heat until butter is golden brown and has a nutty aroma, approximately 10 minutes. Pour into a small bowl. Let cool until solid.