For a kid-friendly version, substitute apple juice for the bourbon.
Browned Butter Apricot Crispy Rice Squares
Makes About 9
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- ½ cup bourbon
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 8 cups miniature marshmallows (about 16 ounces)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 cups crisp rice cereal
- Line an 8×8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, letting excess extend over sides of pan. Spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine apricots and bourbon. Let stand for 1 hour. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons infused bourbon. Save remaining infused bourbon for another use.
- In a 6-quart Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, melt butter over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown and has a nutty aroma, 4 to 6 minutes. Immediately stir in marshmallows and apricots; reduce heat to medium-low, stirring constantly until marshmallows are melted.
- Stir in reserved 2 tablespoons infused bourbon and salt. Remove from heat. Stir in cereal until evenly coated. Using a spatula sprayed with cooking spray, immediately press mixture into prepared pan.
- Let cool for 30 minutes. Using excess foil as handles, remove from pan. Cut into squares and serve.