With all the savory flavors on your plate, these buttery apples are a sweet surprise.
Browned Butter Skillet Apples
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 4 large Honeycrisp apples, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ½ cup apple juice
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add apples, lemon zest and juice, and cinnamon sticks; cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together apple juice, vinegar, cornstarch, and nutmeg. Stir into apple mixture; cook until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes.
Find more delicious recipes like this one in our newest issue of Taste of the South magazine.