Honeycrisp apples add a sweet and juicy bite to this flavorful side dish. Pair it with Mustard Glazed Pork Chops for a pleasing fall dinner.
Brown Sugar-Maple Apples and Sprouts
Yields: 4 servings
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2½ cups (¼-inch-thick) sliced Honeycrisp apples (about 1 medium apple)
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1¾ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- a 12-inch enamel-coated cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.
- Add Brussels sprouts and apples to skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until Brussels sprouts are lightly browned and crisp-tender, 7 to 8 minutes. Add brown sugar, maple syrup, vinegar, salt, and pepper; cook until Brussels sprouts are tender and sugar is dissolved, 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle with bacon. Serve immediately.