Brown Butter and Orange Skillet Cake
Write a review
- ½ cup brown butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Candied Orange Slices
- ¼ cup apple jelly
- ¼ cup orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier Cordon Rouge
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 12-inch cast-iron skillet with baking spray with flour. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter, brown sugar, and extracts at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add zest and juice.
- In a separate medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Reduce mixer speed to low; add flour mixture to butter mixture in three batches, beating well after each addition. Spread batter in prepared skillet. Arrange Candied Orange Slices on top of batter.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean, 55 to 65 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine apple jelly and liqueur. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until smooth. Brush over cake and oranges. Let cake cool for 1 hour before serving.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/