Your next weeknight family meal is covered with this simple all-in-one supper.
Broccoli-Cheddar Rice Casserole
Makes 4 to 6 Servings
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup long-grain rice, rinsed
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) package cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- ¼ cup finely crushed buttery round crackers
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray an 11×8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a 3-quart Dutch oven, bring 2 cups water to a boil over high heat. Add rice, stirring for 20 seconds. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook, without stirring, until moisture is completely absorbed and rice is tender, 22 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff rice with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a 12-inch skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and moisture is released, 5 to 7 minutes. Add broccoli and cook 3 minutes more. Remove vegetables from skillet and place in a large bowl.
- In same skillet, melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Add flour; cook, stirring constantly, until flour is fragrant, about 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. Cook, stirring constantly, until milk thickens, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and slowly whisk in cream cheese until completely incorporated. Whisk in 2 cups Cheddar cheese, a small handful at a time, until completely incorporated. Pour cheese sauce over vegetable mixture. Add rice and stir to combine. Pour rice mixture into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup Cheddar cheese.
- Cover and bake until casserole is bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes. Uncover and increase oven temperature to broil. Sprinkle casserole with crushed crackers. Broil until cheese and crackers begin to brown, 3 to 5 minutes.