This Breakfast Nacho Bake is our light, yet hearty take on huevos rancheros.
Breakfast Nacho Bake
Yields: 4 Servings
- 1 cup reduced-fat milk, divided
- 1 (1-ounce) package instant grits
- 4 slices center-cut bacon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 (6-ounce) bag fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (10-ounce) can mild tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Homemade Tortilla Chips (recipe follows)
- Garnish: fresh cilantro, chopped green onion
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small microwave-safe bowl, stir together 1⁄2 cup milk and grits. Microwave on high 30 seconds. Set aside.
- In a 10-inch oven-safe skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, 8 to 9 minutes. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Let cool; crumble. Reserve rendered bacon fat in pan.
- Add onion and bell pepper to pan; cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add spinach and garlic, stirring until spinach wilts. Add tomatoes, beans, chili powder, cumin, and 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, stirring gently to combine. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, remaining 1⁄2 cup milk, grits mixture, pepper, and remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt. Pour egg mixture over bean mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until golden brown and top is set, approximately 25 minutes. Top with Homemade Tortilla Chips and bacon. Garnish with cilantro and green onion, if desired.
Homemade Tortilla Chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly spray 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas on both sides with nonstick cooking spray. Season both sides with salt and chili powder. Stack tortillas; cut into triangles. Place on a baking sheet in a single layer, and bake until lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes.
Find more great recipes like this one in Taste of the South’s March/April 2017 issue!